The Vicariate of Nyasa was erected on 12th February 1897, including the whole of Malawi. The name Nyasa Vicariate was changed to Likuni on 12th July 1951 and finally, it became Lilongwe on 20th June 1957. It was raised to a status of a Diocese on 25th April 1959. Lilongwe was created a Metropolitan Circumscription on 9th February 2011.
The Archdiocese of Lilongwe covers seven districts of the Central Region of Malawi: Dowa, Kasungu, Lilongwe, Mchinji, Nkhotakota, Ntchisi and Salima.
Archbishop: Most Rev. George Desmond Tambala
Patron: Our Lady of Africa
Feast Day: 20th November
Archbishop George Tambala exhorted his fellow priests in his Archdiocese to develop good habits. He expounded his reflection from theRead More
On the 25th of March, the Year of the Lord, 2022 at 6 pm, the Archbishop of the Archdiocese ofRead More
Sam Kalimba 12th February, 2022: Archbishop George Desmond Tambala of the Catholic Archdiocese of Lilongwe has called upon the clergyRead More
Members of the various congregations of priests, brothers and sisters of the Archdiocese of Lilongwe on 12 February, converged atRead More
The Salima District Executive Committee (DEC) has approved a project for Securing Livelihoods of 2000 smallholder farmers and subsistence fishermen.Read More