The Vicariate of Nyasa was erected on 12th February, 1897, including the whole of Malawi. The
name Nyasa Vicariate was changed to Likuni on 12th July 1951 and finally, it became Lilongwe
on 20th June, 1957. It was raised to a status of a Diocese on 25th April, 1959. Lilongwe was
created a Metropolitan Circumscription on 9th February 2011.
The Archdiocese of Lilongwe covers seven districts of the Central Region of Malawi: Dowa,
Kasungu, Lilongwe, Mchinji, Nkhotakota, Ntchisi and Salima.
Patron: Our Lady of Africa
Feast Day: 20th November